Family Science Day
Last held: Saturday, August 3, 2019
Time: 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Location: Kings Beach State Park Recreation Area
The 2nd annual Family Science Day (formerly Children's Environmental Science Day) is a free community event held annually for children and their families. This event includes hands-on science activities designed to create an awareness of the unique ecology of Lake Tahoe and provide an opportunity for young and old alike to learn about environmental science while promoting stewardship.
The event is currently hosted by the North Tahoe Environmental Education Coalition (NTEEC), together with local agencies and organizations of the Lake Tahoe Basin. Join us for science activities, games, crafts, and demonstrations. Come learn with your child!
For more information, please visit the event facebook page https://www.facebook.com/events/2228103927310582/.
The original Children's Environmental Science Day (2001-2017) was originally started by the UC Davis Tahoe Environmental Research Center and held on Commons Beach in Tahoe City and the Tahoe Science Center in Incline Village.
Activities (subject to change)
- Aquatic Invasive Species
- Beach Clean-up
- Density/Lake Stratification Model
- Face Painting
- Fire Adapted Communities
- Fly Casting Lessons
- Organism Toss (Producers/Consumers/Decomposers)
- Plant Identification and Dissection
- Species Identification Walk
- Take Care Tahoe Toss
- Water Conservation
- Water Quality Monitoring
- Watershed Model
Participating Partners (subject to change)
- California State Parks
- Great Basin Outdoor School
- Incline Village General Improvement District
- KidZone Museum
- Placer Mosquito and Vector Control District
- Sierra Nevada AmeriCorps Partnership
- Sierra Watershed Education Partnerships
- Tahoe Institute for Natural Science
- Tahoe Regional Planning Agency/Take Care
- Tahoe Resource Conservation District
- Trout Unlimited
- U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
- UC Davis Tahoe Environmental Research Center
Location of Event
The 2nd Annual Family Science Day will be held at the Kings Beach State Park Recreation Area. For directions to the event please visit https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=511.