Docent Training Program (2021)
The 2021 Docent Training Program is scheduled for June 17, June 22, and June 24, 2021. This training program will be a combination of live virtual webinars, recordings to watch in your own time, and an in-person tour at the Tahoe Science Center. Our goals for this program is provide comprehensive environmental education as well as leadership skills that act as a refresher for current docents and provides new docents with all the instruction they will need to help the public explore our science education centers.
New volunteers can also join the program by meeting with our Docent Program Coordinator, reading the Docent Manual, and shadowing tours until they are comfortable hosting tours.
For more information about the docent program, please contact Docent Program Coordinator Alison Toy at (775) 881-7566, or e-mail email@example.com.
- 2021 Docent Training Flyer (coming soon)
- 2021 Docent Training Draft Agenda
- Session 1 (June 17, 2021): Program Overview, Lake Tahoe 101, and Geology of the Tahoe Basin
- Session 2 (June 22, 2021): Current Research of Lake Tahoe and the History of Research at Lake Tahoe
- Session 3 (June 24, 2021): Education Exhibits of the Tahoe Science Center, Demonstration Garden, and Docent Happy Hour
- Docent Shadowing Check-list
Do you love Lake Tahoe? Join a group of individuals who are helping to provide the best in science education and foster stewardship throughout the Tahoe Basin. The UC Davis Tahoe Environmental Research Center coordinates a volunteer docent program to connect the talents of community volunteers to the needs and interests of visitors and students.
After completing your docent training program, you will be able to select subject areas and responsibilities. The range of activities available to docents is varied. Examples of opportunities include:
- Assist visitors with hands-on science activities
- Be available to explain the science center exhibits to visitors
- Provide tours of the Tahoe Science Center, Incline Village
- Provide tours of the Eriksson Education Center, Tahoe City
- Provide green building tours of the Tahoe Center for Environmental Sciences, Incline Village
- Assist in outreach programs for schools and community events
- Work in the Docent Office i.e. filing, typing, mailings, phone and e-mail correspondence
We currently attract thousands of visitors, locals, and tourists to the UC Davis Tahoe Science Center every year. Our volunteer docents help visitors have an entertaining, educational experience through which they will learn about Lake Tahoe and environmental problems affecting it. Our program offers docents unlimited opportunities for enrichment, public outreach, and personal satisfaction.
Docent Training Videos
Tahoe 101: Lake of the Sky with David Antonucci (coming soon)
Summer Reservation System for 2021 Tours with Heather Segale (coming soon)
Geology of the Region and Formation of Lake Tahoe with Annie Kell (coming soon)
"Research and Monitoring at Lake Tahoe/Food Web Research at Lake Tahoe" (2014)
"Lake Tahoe and the World Wide Water Crisis" (2014)