Science Education and Outreach
Through our education and outreach programs, the goal is to provide science-based information about the Lake Tahoe region in order to foster responsible action and stewardship. We provide engaging exhibits, interactive hands-on educational activities, and conduct effective outreach to draw student groups, residents, and visitors to our facilities. Our education programs inspire an interest in environmental sciences, stimulate curiosity, and motivate active conservation and preservation of fresh water resources.
UC Davis operates two science education facilities.
Our main facility, the Tahoe Science Center (left) funded by the Thomas J. Long Foundation in Incline Village, Nevada is open year-round and our smaller Eriksson Education Center (pictured right) in Tahoe City, CA along with a 3-acre demonstration garden is only open during the summer season. We also offer education and outreach programs geared towards: the general public, K-12 students, Teachers, Docents, and other special events.
The Tahoe Science Center will closed for the following holidays:
- Cesar Chavez Day (last Friday of March)
- Independence Day (July 4 - 6)
- Thanksgiving (third Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday of November)
- Special Closure for 2019 repairs: December 16 - 23
- Winter break (December 24 - January 2)
- Please be aware of snow closures, for more information call 775-831-1314 ext. 7597