2022 Science Expo: Earth and Space Science
The 2022 North Lake Tahoe Science Expo was be held at Incline High School on May 23 and 24. Check back later for announcements regarding the 2023 Science Expo.
Volunteers do not need any prior science experience. All materials and supplies will be provided. You can attend an advance training session or simply come a half-hour before the start of your shift to prepare to facilitate your science activity station.
The annual Science Expo event is designed to increase student excitement and interest in science through interactive, hands-on activities, games and demonstrations. This year's Science Expo is hosted by UC Davis TERC and Incline High School. Science Expo includes hands-on science activities for upper elementary school students from the greater Lake Tahoe and Truckee Region.
Student groups come for a two-hour session and interact with 30-40 hands-on science activities within the theme of Life and Health Science (2023), Physical Science (2024), and Earth and Space Science (2025). Themes are on a three-year rotation to ensure that local 3rd–5th grade students who come every year will experience different activities each year. The cost is $5 per student.
UC Davis staff, AmeriCorps members, and volunteers share experiments, activities, and science demonstrations with the students in the community. Other regional partners including local Rotary clubs, Incline Education Fund, and Washoe County School District. Also offer activities, experiments, or demonstrations. Coffee is provided for volunteers by the Raley's grocery store in Incline Village.
Students from local school districts will attend during scheduled school visits.
The Tahoe Center for Environmental Sciences facility is located at 291 Country Club Drive in Incline Village (between Tahoe Boulevard/SR 28 and Lakeshore) and provides the perfect setting including use of teaching laboratories, a 3-D visualization theater, and other educational tools.
Comments from visiting students and teachers:
- “The students left with so many discoveries, insights, and questions which has left them on further explorations. Your team is amazing!" (Jessica, Creekside Charter)
- “We're so lucky to have this great resource in our community!” (Patricia Mills, Tahoe Lake Elementary)
- "All excellent! I want to compliment the quality of the stations and presenters!" (Kathee Hansen, Tahoe Lake Elementary)
- "I had so much fun being a scientist!" (Julie Otis, Kings Beach Elementary)
- "We debriefed almost a week later and many [students] retained information they learned and/or were able to recall significant facts when reviewing their passports." (Susan Earnest, Bijou Community School)
- "I enjoyed learning about our brains, how they work, and how the cells all play a different part in your body." (Kings Beach Elementary 3rd grader)
- "My favorite part was the lungs, reptiles, and germs." (Creekside Charter 3rd grader)
- "My favorite part was the brain and getting to see and feel them. You Rock. I loved it a lot!" (Creekside Charter 3rd grader)
- “I learned a lot about science, so much that my brain is sore. Just kidding, but really, if my brain could not grow it would be full.” (Summer)
- “I learned in ice that when matter changes from a solid directly into a gas it is called sublimation.”
- “I enjoyed the experience and the magic of science. It was really awesome!” (Jessica)
- “I really felt like a scientist and a nerd at the same time... I had a lot of fun.” (Damen)
- “That night I dreamed about being a scientist and being the engineer of the fastest car. That reminds me... I'm a scientist can't you see, the cosmos is my lab for discovery, growing plants, checking out the stars, and I'm the engineer of the fastest cars... Yeah!” (Mckenna)
- “I can’t wait until next year. Thanks again for making last Wednesday so much fun.”
- “I really appreciate you letting us come. I enjoyed all of the fun science. I learned how science is fun and exciting. I hope I can come back next year.” (Mckayla)
2021 Virtual Science Expo: Earth and Space Science
Thank you to all the classes who joined us for the 2021 Virtual Science Expo this year. It was a great success! If you missed it, we have a recorded session available on our YouTube Channel (https://youtu.be/KuX3eMMN0X8).
Teacher Comments from the 2021 Virtual Science Expo:
"This was amazing. The students were all very engaged." - 3rd grade teacher, North Star Online School
"The surveys throughout the expo were a nice interactive piece as well as the facilitators showing the corresponding passport pages as they were referring to them. This was definitely a well-planned and thoughtful presentation from the UC Davis TERC. Thank you for sharing such a strong example of quality science education for our students! =)" - 5th grade teacher, North Star Online
"Fantastic distance activity however your space is so incredible we miss participating in person. Thank you so much." - 5th grade teacher, Zephyr Cove Elementary
"I was very impressed with the virtual Science Expo! Thank you!" - 3rd grade teacher, Sierra House Elementary
"The layout and graphics of the Passport were great. You did a great job presenting. Good sound quality and visuals. […] Looking forward to coming in person next year!" - 3rd grade teacher, Tahoe Lake Elementary
Teacher Materials (2022 - Earth & Space Science)
- 2022 Earth & Space Science Expo Passport
- 2022 Earth & Space Science Expo Passport Answer Key
- 2022 Earth & Space Science Expo Brief Activity Descriptions
- 2022 Earth & Space Science Expo Detailed Activity Descriptions (complete)
- NGSS for the Science Expo Activities
Teacher Materials (2021 - Best of Science Expo)
Teacher Materials (2019 - Physical Science)
- Physical Science Expo Passport
- Physical Science Expo Passport Answer Key
- Physical Science Expo Brief Activity Descriptions
- Physical Science Expo Detailed Activity Descriptions
- NGSS alignment for the 2019 Science Expo Activities
- Volunteer flyers (North Lake Tahoe) (South Lake Tahoe)
- Public Science Expo flyers (North Lake Tahoe) (South Lake Tahoe)
Teacher Materials (2018 - Health & Life Science)
- Health & Life Science Expo Passport (blank)
- Health & Life Science Expo Passport Answer Key
- Health & Life Science Expo Brief Activity Descriptions
- Health & Life Science Expo Detailed Activity Descriptions
- NGSS alignment for the 2018 Science Expo Activities
- Volunteer Information Sheet