Youth Science Institute
UC Davis Tahoe Environmental Research Center (TERC) offers a 16-week afterschool program on Wednesdays, January through May (1/30/2019 - 5/15/2019). In the Youth Science Institute, high school students will work with scientists, conduct science experiments, take a ride on the UC Davis research vessel, experience our 3-D visualization lab, share science activities with other students and much more! Flyer available.
- Complete application
- Must be currently enrolled in grade 9, 10 or 11
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Must pass interview/screening process
- Tuition of $300
- Learn new laboratory, leadership & job skills
- Work with scientists, researchers and graduate students
- Opportunity to become a paid intern
- Receive scholarship assistance
- Fulfill required community service hours
- Receive certificate of completion & letter of recommendation
Past YSI Participant Testimonials:
- "Thought it was a great opportunity. I learned a lot and met a lot of really interesting people."
- "Thank you so much for the invite into it and the wonderful journey it turned out to be."
- "I had a lot of fun in YSI, and I would definitely recommend it to others."
- "11 out of 10! Would do it again."
- "I loved it and had so much fun!"
- "It was a great program, definitely got me thinking about some really interesting fields of science and the careers in those fields. Highly recommended."
- "I really enjoyed this program. I thought it was really interesting to learn about the different types of sciences. The people who lectured on all of the topics were great."
- "It was an amazing experience! I enjoyed all the topics we explored. I learned there are a lot of science fields that are available, I would recommend this class to everyone that is interested in science, and to anyone that would like to find out more."
- "This is a great opportunity to learn new things and meet new people. It is a fantastic way to get a foot hold in the scientific community, and if I do say so myself, it is pretty fun."
- "I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of this program, and greatly benefited from its services. I am currently a Residential Assistant at the University of Nevada, Reno, and I know that I would not be as driven by curiosity and self learning if I had not been a part of this organization. I greatly appreciate all the facilitators and presenters that gave their time to help influence me to follow my true passion."
- "YSI was a great experience!! Should be advertised more to local students to apply to the program. I was lucky and heard of it by chance, a lot of qualified and interested students are missing out."
- "I am currently applying to four year schools with the major marine biology. YSI definitely influenced my choice to major in this field. The program is very beneficial to people with a serious interest in science."
- "YSI was a great program that allowed me to see many different aspects of science in the working world."
- “I would definitely recommend this program to my peers and younger siblings.”
- “Thank you so much for the opportunity. I have learned so much through the program that I would not have learned through school.”
- “I loved that all of the activities were hands on and I was the one doing the activities.”
- “My favorite part was meeting people my age who have the same interests I do.”
- “I plan to attend a four year university and major in Mechanical Engineering. I loved that YSI was able to help me expand my scientific knowledge.”
- “YSI was an amazing experience that really motivated me to excel in high school and in college. I love that each one of the participants were just as motivated as I was.”
- “I really enjoyed that the presenters and everybody who was there each week was really energetic and knew a lot about the subjects.”
- “I did not know that science could be this fun and entertaining!”
- “I tell all of my friends at school about YSI and I really motivate them to do it as well!”
- “YSI really benefited me in ways that a normal high school program would. I was able to see first-hand the benefits that a STEM career path would give me. I hope to someday be a professional in the Ecology field.”
- Last year's Schedule
- Youth Science Institute Applications (choose one format)
- Youth Science Institute e-application (PDF Form to be submitted by email) - Please follow directions carefully to ensure that the form has been properly emailed to the appropriate person. You may want to print a copy for your records or as backup.)
- Youth Science Institute application (PDF Document to be printed - Please fax to 775-832-1673 or mail to UC Davis YSI, 291 Country Club Drive, Incline Village, NV 89451)
For more information contact Heather Segale, (775) 881-7562 or email email@example.com.