Youth Science Institute
Now accepting applications for the 2019 YSI Program. Online application available here! Scroll down to view alternative application methods.
The Youth Science Institute (YSI) is a 16-week hands-on after school science exploration program open to local high school students in grades 9-11. The program runs from late January to May (1/23/2019-5/22/2019) on Wednesday nights from 4 to 6 PM. Each week students engage in a self-guided, professionally supported investigation of a new topic in science through a 2-hour interactive lab or project.
In the Youth Science Institute, students work closely with researchers, professors, and guest presenters to dive deeper into various scientific disciplines. Students explore aerospace, aviation, chemistry, earth science, forensics, forest ecology, geoscience, lake science, medical science, physics, snow science, robotics, and more. Each YSI session aims to stimulate curiosity, nurture interest in further scientific study, promote continued engagement, and prepare students for lifelong learning. 2019 Flyer.
Program Enrollment Requirements:
- Complete application
- Complete personal interview
- Enrolled in grade 9, 10 or 11
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Tuition of $300 (Scholarships available!)
- Learn new laboratory, leadership, and job skills
- Work with scientists, researchers, and graduate students
- Opportunity to become a paid intern
- Acquire completed community service hours
- Earn a certificate of completion
- Receive a letter of recommendation
- Last year's Schedule
- Youth Science Institute Applications (choose one format)
Youth Science Institute e-application (PDF Form to be submitted by email) - Please follow directions carefully to ensure that the form has been properly emailed to the appropriate person. You may want to print a copy for your records or as backup.)
Youth Science Institute application (PDF Document to be printed - Please fax to 775-832-1673 or mail to UC Davis YSI, 291 Country Club Drive, Incline Village, NV 89451)
For more information:
Past YSI Participant Testimonials:
- "It was an amazing experience! I enjoyed all the topics we explored. I learned there are a lot of science fields that are available, I would recommend this class to everyone that is interested in science, and to anyone that would like to find out more."
- “I loved that all of the activities were hands on and I was the one doing the activities.”
- “YSI was an amazing experience that really motivated me to excel in high school and in college.”
- “I did not know that science could be this fun and entertaining!”