Youth Science Institute (complete)
The Youth Science Institute (YSI) is a 16-week hands-on after school science exploration program open to local high school students in grades 9-11. The program runs from late January to May on Wednesday nights from 4 to 6 PM. Each week students engage in a self-guided, professionally supported investigation of a new topic in science through a 2-hour interactive lab or project.
In the Youth Science Institute, students work closely with researchers, professors, and guest presenters to dive deeper into various scientific disciplines. Students explore aerospace, aviation, chemistry, earth science, forensics, forest ecology, geoscience, lake science, medical science, physics, snow science, robotics, and more. Each YSI session aims to stimulate curiosity, nurture interest in further scientific study, promote continued engagement, and prepare students for lifelong learning.
Program Enrollment Requirements:
- Complete application
- Complete personal interview
- Enrolled in grade 9, 10 or 11
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Tuition of $300 (Scholarships available!)
- Learn new laboratory, leadership, and job skills
- Work with scientists, researchers, and graduate students
- Opportunity to become a paid intern
- Acquire completed community service hours
- Earn a certificate of completion
- Receive a letter of recommendation
For more information:
Contact Heather Segale at (775) 881-7562, email@example.com.
Past YSI Participant Testimonials:
- "It was an amazing experience! I enjoyed all the topics we explored. I learned there are a lot of science fields that are available, I would recommend this class to everyone that is interested in science, and to anyone that would like to find out more."
- “I loved that all of the activities were hands on and I was the one doing the activities.”
- “YSI was an amazing experience that really motivated me to excel in high school and in college.”
- “I did not know that science could be this fun and entertaining!”